Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Young Men and the Sea Project

  This is to announce my next photojournalistic project, a cultural study of an obscure community of fishermen and subsistence farmers located on a remote coastline in the Dominican Republic - and how their traditional way of life is affected by the growing tourism in their neighborhood.  I hope to tell their story in photos and a bit of commentary, producing a photo journal that will make a nice coffee table book to be offered at Amazon.com and other book sellers later this year.
  I have often thought it would be nice to live in a quiet seaside village for a while, and I am pursuing that dream this winter as my wife, Kaye, and I head down to the tropics for a wintertime hiatus, living next door to some fishermen and following them around and capturing a few glimpses of their laid-back culture.
  This is the place to find my project updates as I am actually starting to write the book by posting my encounters here, on the Travel/Culture side of Where the Robert Meets the Road.  (My other, most-read blog is a partner to this one and is the more philosophical platform where I comment on religion, politics, and spiritual journey. To go there now, click the link at the right side of this page in the pop-out menu.)
  If you want to follow the The Young Men and the Sea project, simply subscribe to this blog by clicking the Subscribe button on the right.
 Thank you!


Fishing boats on the beach in front of my winter home near the fishing village of Las Galeras, Dominican Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment